Isn’t Jesus Christ our best example on how to pray? Let’s have a close look at how he prayed.
1. With love and compassion : « Father forgive them… » Luke 23.34
2. With thankfulness : « Father I thank you because you always listen to me… » John 11.41. I thankful heart keeps us in a position where we depend on our father. We are called to be joyful / thankful in all situations either easy or hard.
3. With boldness and assurance : « … I know you always listen to me » John 11.42 « … all is done » John 19.30, Acts 13.29, Hebrews 1.3, Revelation 21.6
4. With the works of the Father « believe in those works so that you may know and recognize that the Father is in me and that I am in Him ». John 10.38 : incarnation of our prayers.
5. Full (soaked) of the Word : « Jesus answered and said : « It is written » ! (The Word transforms US before transforming our circumstances : it’s the « metanoia » of God, the transforming power (renewed in the Spirit of Understanding) Eph. 4.23.
The crown of thorns that was put on Jesus’ head was the suffering he endured for the transformation of our minds and mindsets.
6. With identity (knowing who you are) and proclaiming this identity with no shame « As you Father are in me and I am in You ! » John 17.21
7. With passion and bowels « Anguish seized Him, his prayer was deeper and deeper, his sweat became like drops of blood » Luke 22.44
8. With unity and one accord « That they would be one in us » John 17.21. With righteousness (making wrong things right), in accordance to God’s will : the judgment of God on sickness is healing, the judgment of God on poverty is abundance.
9. With faith. Matt. 17.20 : Faith like a seed of mustard. Matt. 13.31. If you ask with faith… Matt. 21.21. Faith is to have Jesus’ eyes : to see and have a clear vision.
10. With perseverance : the widow in Luke 18. Never giving up.
11. Jesus the intercessor our model : Romans 8.34 « He is dead, but much more, he is risen and at the right hand of the Father making intercession for us ».
12. Contemplating the glory of God like Stephan : « Contemplating the Glory of God and Jesus standing at the right hand of God » Acts. 7.55
13. According to the will of God, submitting our will. With a pure heart. « You ask and you do not receive because you ask wrongly and to satisfy your passions » James 4.3 « All that the Father does, the Son also does » John 5.19, Psalm 37.5
14. In Repentance (Jesus never repented he is sinless but we need to!) 2 Chr. 7.14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, …
15. With expectancy : the rewards and answers Matt. 6.6, When you pray, go into your room. Close the door and pray to your Father, who can’t be seen. He will reward you. Your Father sees what is done.
Eric Tendon / 2014 / Free translation of the French Bible / firstname.lastname@example.org – v13.01.16